Odysseus has been away from Ithaca for the past 20 years. For that time, Penelope, Odysseus's wife, has been waiting for his arrival, but during that time, suitors have wanted to marry Penelope. Telemachus, Odysseus's son, protects his mother from these suitors. The suitors are getting restless and won't wait any longer. The goddess Athena disguises herself as an elderly man and tells Telemachus to set sail and seek news of his father.
1. How did Telemachus' character change after Athena's visit?
2. Why did Athena disguise herself as a man?
3. Why isn't Penelope rejecting her suitors?
4. Why must Telemachus find Odysseus?
5. Is Odysseus really trying to get home?
Athena, the goddess of war