Components of Skylab
The station is made up of 5 parts
• Apollo telescope mount (ATM) - a solar observatory. Provides attitude control and is used for conducting experiments. Installation and retrieval of film on the ATM requires an astronaut to perform a space walk.
• Multiple docking adapter (MDA) - served as a dock for command-and-service modules.
• Airlock module (AM) – It is an interconnection between the MDA and orbital workshop. It housed the controls and instruments.
• Instrument unit (IU) - only used during launch and the initial phases. It provides guidance and sequencing functions for the initial deployment of the ATM and solar arrays.
• Orbital workshop (OWS) – it serves as crew quarters and holds provisions for three-man crew for up to 84 days.
Let us see the various missions performed by Skylab