South Carolina Science Olympiad
Science of Fitness
Look at the figure provided, which illustrates body sites where the pulse is most easily palpated.
REFER TO THE ILLUSTRATIONS PROVIDED:
6. TRUE OR FALSE. A majority of Americans report that they are either physically inactive of nonactive.
7. TRUE OR FALSE. The majority of Americans aged 65-74 years report that tare physically inactive.
8. TRUE OR FALSE About half of Americans who have never graduated from high school report that they are not regularly physically active.
9. TRUE OR FALSE. Approximately four percent more American women report physical inactivity than do men.
10. TRUE OR FALSE. We can conclude from this data that the more educated one is, the more physically fit they are.
Refer to the model provided.
11. Identify the labeled chamber (be specific).
12. What vessel(s) serve the chamber that you identified in question #11?
13. Identify the labeled vessel.
14. What chamber of the heart does the vessel you identified in Question #13 serve (be specific)?
15. What valve does the blood pass through in traveling from chamber (Question #14) to vessel (Question #13)?
16. The proper name for the blood pressure cuff is .
17. As the cuff is released during blood pressure measurement, characteristic sounds are heard that represent the turbulent flow of blood through the constricted artery. These sounds are called .
Assume the following blood pressure measurement recorded for an elderly patient with severe arteriosclerosis: 170/110/-.
18. Which is the systolic blood pressure?
19. What is this patients pulse pressure?
20. Briefly explain the inability to obtain a third reading.
Refer to the illustrations provided:
25. What structures in the lungs are also known as "air sacs."
FLOW OF BLOOD THROUGH THE HEART:
26-30. Starting with the Superior Vena Cava, place the following items in the correct order.
31. tachycardia A. Period of ventricular contraction.
32. bradycardia B. A heart rate over 100 beats per minute.
33. fibrillation C. Irregular heart contractions.
34. systole D. A slower than normal heart rate.
35. diastole E. The second heart sound, dup, marks the
beginning of this period of the cardiac cycle.
Two different breakfast cereals are represented below:
Cereal A Cereal B
120 Calories/serving 120
160 Calories/serving 160
With 1/2 cup fat free milk*
1 cup Serving size 3/4 cup
0 g fat/serving 26
28 g carbohydrates/serving 26
3 g protein/serving 1
*1/2 cup of fat free milk contributes 40 calories, 6 g of carbohydrates, and 4 g of protein.
For breakfast every day, Jeremy eats one cup of Cereal B with one cup of fat free milk.
His sister Kaly eats 1 1/2 cups of Cereal B without milk.
His mother Linda mixes 1/2 cup of Cereal A with 1/2 cup of Cereal B, and eats the mixture with one cup of fat free milk.
REFER TO THE INFORMATION PROVIDED:
36. Which family member consumes the most grams of fat per meal?
37. How many Calories does Jeremy consume, including milk?
38. How many calories does Linda consume?
39. Which family member consumes the most grams of carbohydrate per meal?
40. Which family member consumes the least amount of Calories per meal?
Refer to the spirogram provided.
41. Which of the labels (A,B,C,D) correctly identifies the residual volume?
42. Which of the labels (A,B,C,D) correctly identifies the inspiratory reserve volume?
43. What, in ml, is the total lung capacity?
44. What, in ml, is the tidal volume?
45. Using the labels on the spirogram, vital capacity can be identified as:
Refer to the food label provided.
46. Food must provide a source of energy, raw materials, vitamins, and minerals. What unit on the food label gives the amount of stored energy for this food and how much is there in one serving?
47. The raw materials listed on the food label are protein, carbohydrates, and fat. How many grams of total carbohydrate are present per serving?
48. What is the most abundant vitamin in this food?
49. Obesity is defined as BMI of:
50. The percentage of high school students in the United States that eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day is:
*Images provided by the CDC