The Zeus System
The ZEUS® Surgical System is made up of an ergonomic surgeon control console
and three table-mounted robotic arms, which perform surgical tasks and provide
visualization during endoscopic surgery. Seated at an ergonomic console with an
unobstructed view of the OR, the surgeon controls the right and left arms of
ZEUS, which translate to real-time articulation of the surgical instruments. A
third arm incorporates the AESOP® Endoscope Positioner technology, which
provides the surgeon with magnified, rock-steady visualization of the internal
Peerless voice control capabilities allow the surgeon to precisely guide the
movements of the endoscope with simple spoken commands, freeing the surgeon's
hands to manipulate the robotic surgical instrument handles. ZEUS custom scales
the movement of these handles and filters out hand tremor, enabling surgeons
with greater capability to perform complex micro-surgical tasks.
In 1999, ZEUS made history in the world's first robotic-assisted
beating-heart bypass surgery, by Douglas Boyd, MD.
The event ushered in a new era in Minimally Invasive Surgery, as
promising and inspiring for patients as it is for surgeons and
hospitals. Today ZEUS is being integrated into a broad range of
procedures encompasing cardiac, bariatrics, general surgery, urology,
ZEUS® Surgical System—Features
- The ZEUS® Surgical System features the following components:
- Video Console
- Primary Video Monitor up to 23"W x 23"D
- Flat Panel Monitor: with support for an additional flat panel monitor
- Surgeon Control Console
- Touch Screen Monitor
- Support Arms and Surgeon Handles
- Mounting Areas: for speakers; access to controller front panels;
access to PC and HERMES™ Control Center; mounting shelves for housing
Industry Standard Mechanism - Easy Sterilization
- Incorporates mechanism design based on standard flushing port and
push-pull rod technology, the same makeup as industry-standard endoscopic
equipment. Provides easy sterilization.
- Uses robust, reusable instruments, built to withstand the rigorous OR
Instrument and Port Size
- Offers unparalleled precision through 3.5 to 5-mm instrument and endoscope
Wide Array of Instruments
- Offers a suite of more than 40 ZEUS®-compatible instruments, available in
a variety of shaft diameters, from industry leaders Scanlan, Storz and US
Quick Instrument Changes
- Incorporates a quick-change mechanism to seamlessly swap instruments and
safely guide the placement of the instrument tips.
- Provides total flexibility in overall console placement, easily converting
from setup directly at the operating table to setup as a physically removed
- Takes less than 15 minutes to set up.
- Designed to adapt to individual surgeon preferences in viewing modes,
permits both 2D and 3D visualization and accommodates a wide variety of
endoscopes and monitor setups.
- Secondary flatscreen video monitors mount parallel to the main monitor to
provide additional patient data including vitals, image guidance reference
display and a redundant view of the operative field for use with SOCRATES™.
- Built lightweight for easy installation and flexible adjustment, ZEUS®
maintains a low profile. Its twin instrument positioning arms adhere equally
to this design imperative, allowing assistant to retract, suction and
irrigate during surgery.
- A user-friendly, single foot pedal provides device engagement and
disengagement. When engaged, specific controls are easily accessed using
voice control and touch screen interfaces.
Microwrist Hand Controls
- MicroWrist form-fitting hand controls translate the surgeon's movements
with precise scaling and hand tremor filtering.
Six Degrees of Freedom
- 4 Motorized
- Up and Down
- In and Out
- Shoulder: Back and Forth
- Elbow: back and forth
- 2 Floating
- Forearm: back and forth - safety function: float away to avoid ramming
- 1 Fixed change in angle
- Elbow Tilt (+/- 3 degrees)
- Offers infinite motion scaling, without limitation to arbitrarily defined
increments. Scaling adjustment can be accomplished using either touchscreen
or voice command.
- Ergonomic console and seat provides optimal surgeon comfort for long
- During surgery, endoscopic and instrument positioning arms tilt with the
operating table; this flexible design eliminates the need to readjust or
recalibrate the arms.
- At any time, the foot pedal releases the clutch, allowing surgeons to
relax and reposition (center and re-index) their hands and arms.
Endiscopic Position Saving
- Provides the powerful capability to save 3 different endoscopic positions,
retaining x-y-x axis coordinates that can be quickly and easily returned to
at any time.
- Voice control components leverage the advantages of a sophisticated
overall communications paradigm: individual surgeon voice modeling; context
sensitive tree command structure; limited vocabulary for error avoidance;
voice and visual feedback on command success; compensation for ambient OR
- Device control and communications options are embedded also in ZEUS®'
portable pendant device, allowing flexible, duplicate control options that
transcend the OR's sterile boundary.
- Uses mirror redundancy technology at a rate of up to 1000 times per second
to ensure patient safety.