Before a flash flood:
- Keep a portable radio on at all times so that you can listen to emergency updates.
- If you are trapped inside your house, climb to the highest place and wait for rescuers to find you. Do NOT swim outside.
- Store water in jugs, sinks, etc.
- Place valuables in the highest level of your house.
- Bring outdoor furniture and toys indoors and secure them.
- Turn off all utilities and close the main gas valve.
During a flood:
- Do not travel in flooded areas.
- Do NOT go near power lines and electrical wires.
- Beware of wild animals.
After a flood:
- Make sure your house is safe before entering.
- Do not use fire when reentering the house.
- Use a flashlight.
- Do not turn on your power until an electrician deems it safe.
- Boil all water before use until officials proclaim its safety.
- Beware of sharp debris and slippery floors.
- Throw out all foods contaminated with flood water.
- Make sure all property is safe again.