How to Help Yourself at School
Clicking on the links below will open the glossary in a new window. Close the glossary window to return to this page.
Ways to pay attention in school:
- Dont mix up important papers and keep your desk clean.
- Watch your teacher whenever he or she is talking.
- Get involved with class discussions, ask questions and make comments (after you raise your hand).
- If or when somebody is bothering or talking to you in class ask if you can be moved. Dont talk to them when you should be listening to your teacher. (You might want to ask to be placed at the front of the class to help you focus.)
- Dont bring anything to school (such as toys or games) that might distract you.
- If you dont know how to do something ask for help right away without distracting others. You need to be your own advocate. (Once you get used to this it will get easier!!)
- You should do your homework in quiet place with no distraction ( such as T. V. or radio. )
- Do your homework in the time of day that is right for you (dont wait until the last minute to do it.)
- Once you have chosen the right place and time to do your homework make it a habit to keep doing it. (Routines are important same time of day and same place.)
- If sitting down bothers you, why dont you try standing up for a few minutes. (You could even work something out with your teacher so he/she might allow some freedom in class to do this.)
- If you get stuck on a problem or get tired, try walking around and then get back to your homework.
- Dont do too much at one time on your homework. Work for about 15 minutes then take a little break and come back and do some more.
- After you are done with your homework reward yourself with your favorite snack or favorite game after asking for your parents permission.
Ways to control your anger or calming exercise:
- Try to think of things you like, for example games, music, or a place you like. Then get a good picture of this in your head and focus on that one thing.
- Take deep breaths letting them out slowly, while thinking about calming things such as those listed above.
When youre around other kids, you might want to try:
- Going away from the person youre angry at.
- If you can find a quiet place, try the calming activities above.
- If someone is trying to make you angry, tell yourself youre smart enough not to let them get you in trouble by being angry. Then just walk away. Try hard to stay in control!!
- If there are people who always try to get you angry or pick on you try to stay away from them.
- If you are doing something that is frustrating you, before you get fed up, ask for help or a chill out time to get your thoughts about you.
Remember this is all about self-control!
Home | How to Help | Facts | More Info | Games | Meet the Team